Are you interested in growing your career with Walmart? With locations in Canada, the United States, and around the world; Walmart is helping new professionals achieve their goals every day with a variety of job prospects.
Walmart offers both hourly-rated jobs, and salaried earnings for those in healthcare, management, or technological positions at Walmart. Additional opportunities include jobs in Walmart’s pharmacy center, drivers for the Walmart distribution center, the Walmart optometry center, and a variety of other careers such as stocking, shelving, cashier work, and front-end assistance.
All you need to know before applying
To apply for an hourly position at Walmart, you will need to complete the online application. Walmart will take on a variety of roles including cashier, customer service associate, stocker, sales associate and other roles. This is not a process for first-timers, as it takes on average about an hour to fill out the application.
But once you’ve applied, there are some basics that you should know. “It is very important to have a valid social security number, since we use it to make sure you are eligible to work in the United States,” Walmart says. If you are using a different social security number, Walmart will not consider your application. If you have any questions, Walmart suggests finding an employee and speaking to them.
Walmart Job Description
It does have a variety of job roles you can apply for, and one of them is the many support roles that need to have the ability to work around the clock. This includes customer service associates, cashiers, packers, and associates who help maintain the Walmart store environment.
Salary at Walmart: What you need to know about earning at the store Average hourly pay is just over $10 an hour, and part-time associates will earn between $8.87 and $12.75. Some departments have slightly higher pay scales, such as in the construction or maintenance category. “Our associates earn a living wage and value — and we’re proud that Walmart is the number one place to work in America,” the Walmart website says.
- Perform numerous tasks such as greeting customers, scanning items, and bagging purchases.
- Requires strong communication skills and teamwork.
- Pay rate begins between $9 to $11 an hour.
- Greeters communicate and welcome those entering our store and say farewell to those leaving it.
- They are also responsible for fielding customer questions and guiding them through the store.
- The pay rate begins between $9 to $11 an hour for greeter positions.
- Assist customers in finding products and keeping things organized.
- Checking prices, answering phones and customer queries, and assisting customers in fitting rooms.
- Must be friendly, knowledgeable, and able to work a variety of shifts.
- Sales associates typically earn between $8 to $9 per hour.
- Must lift heavy objects, bundles and parcels and perform tasks of physical and manual labour.
- Duties include shelf stocking, loading and unloading trucks of merchandise, and working evening or overnight shifts as requested by shift supervisors.
- $10 per hour is the typical earning for this position.
- It is encouraged that employees interested in the stock associate position own a pair of steel-toed boots for their own safety on the job site.
- Oversee staff in different departments on a daily shift basis.
- Duties include hiring new workers, scheduling shifts, and meeting sales expectations as per the store’s quota.
- Previous experience is usually a prerequisite and requirement for management roles at Walmart.
- Entry-level workers are also able to be advanced or promoted to management levels if their team feels appropriate.
- $10 per hour is the starting wage for Walmart management, with the opportunity of earning $50,000 annually for store managers with Walmart.
Types of positions available
All Walmart positions “count” and the company says that if you apply for any job, you should qualify for them, though it’s worth noting that the retailer is also participating in the federal government’s E-Verify program, meaning that “even with E-Verify you can’t hire someone who you know or have reason to suspect is not legally allowed to work in the United States.” Minimum qualifications According to a job listing, new employees must have an associate’s degree or higher, but employees who have accrued certain quantities of paid and unpaid experience can become managers. “If you are interested in getting a manager position at Walmart, you must complete the Senior Manager Academy in the CMC category,” the job listing states.
How to apply for a job at Walmart
But you won’t just need a resume: you need a cover letter, as well as employment verification, to show Walmart you are who you say you are. You can find these details on the Walmart website.
Tips for an interview with Walmart
How to apply: Simply create a free Walmart.com account. You will be asked to answer several online personality tests before your application is reviewed. For those working part-time or full-time, Walmart will provide a company-wide schedule of when shifts are available. How to dress: Simply put on jeans, a T-shirt and sneakers, Walmart says.
You can also wear a uniform if desired, which consists of a polo shirt and a pair of khakis. How to wear your hair: Walmart says you can wear your hair in an unruly, wet look that’s free of product. How to apply for a management position: If you’ve completed the Walmart hiring process, you’ll be asked to go in person to a hiring event. If you don’t have your own car, consider taking public transportation.
In all, Walmart is becoming a not very difficult place to find work. Of course, this is a particularly desirable place to work, and it may be a good idea to take advantage of this by applying through any of the aforementioned methods (when applying online for jobs at Walmart, it’s best to add your picture first, so that the software can detect you in the pictures), in order to stand out from the pack of applicants. Like any company, Walmart will typically conduct their job fairs in a public setting, so it can be a good idea to make a little extra effort by making a real effort to show off your best stuff. Good luck!
Walmart employs over 1.5 million U.S. citizens, providing its employees with employee benefits such as discounts, student programs, health insurance, and other Walmart employment benefits.
Walmart actively encourages veterans to apply for positions at our stores, and we strive to assist veterans who are looking to transfer to the commercial job market. 250,000 veterans have been hired today, with a record 28,000 earning promotions since 2013.
Those using Walmart’s website to submit an application will be asked their availability, contact information, and in some cases: references to previous employment, jobs, or occupations.
Those seeking employment with Walmart must be 16-years-old or older in order to be eligible. They must also be legally cleared to work in their country of residence. While Walmart does hire felons, the previous sentencing will be taken into accordance when performing a criminal background check.